What is an Ocean Friendly Restaurant? Surfrider’s OFR program offers restaurants an easy way to demonstrate their commitment to sustainability, as long as they follow 5 basic criteria (as well as a minimum of 2 optional criteria):
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.
- No plastic bags offered with take out or to-go orders and utensils are provided only upon request.
- Paper straws are provided only upon request.
One restaurant, one customer at a time, we are increasing awareness, driving behavior change, and ultimately creating scalable impact to reduce our plastic footprint.